We are pleased to announce the release of version 1.4 of the MetaCDN platform. Some notable updates for this release include:
- MetaCDN Site Accelerator. MetaCDN can now accelerate your entire website – both static and dynamic content – to ensure your customers get blazingly fast load speeds every time they visit your site. Read more about it in our blog post here.
- Caption support for media content. MetaCDN supports user-supplied captions such as closed captions (e.g. for descriptive audio) or subtitles (e.g. translation), to assist content owners with compliance for emerging accessibility legislation in the United States and other locations. Read more about it in our blog post here.
- HTTP delivery override for video and audio streaming. By default MetaCDN delivers streaming video using the RTMP protocol, which gives the best experience for most users. However some users can have problems accessing content delivered using RTMP, as many corporate network firewalls block non-HTTP traffic. MetaCDN now allows users to choose their preferred video delivery mechanism.
- Smarter video encoding. MetaCDN now handles a wider variety of input video types with arbitrary aspect ratios. Users no longer have to specify the aspect ratio of uploaded video content – it is determined automatically.
- Enhanced support for iPhone and iPad video sources. Videos shot on iPhones or iPads will now be auto-rotated so that they are correctly oriented when encoded and played back.